Thursday, July 11, 2013

Where it All Began

On August 26, which happened to be my half birthday, it was a few days into high school try outs where I was attempting to make varsity soccer my sophomore year. Being a competitive and strong athlete, I was working even harder trying to impress the coaches judging us from the sidelines. Things were looking well and I ran down the field with the ball. Out of nowhere, another player of mine slide tackled into me from my right side and I flipped in the air crashing on the left side of my head. Immediately, my life hit the slow-mo button and I couldn't focus on a thing. My vision became blurry and I slowly realized a headache began to surface in my brain.

As I began to comprehend the situation and the symptoms brewing within, I realized that I had probably suffered a concussion. Now previous to this hit, I had never had a concussion, but I was well educated on them. My mother works on a brain trauma floor as a physical therapist rehabilitating patients with traumatic brain injuries. She had lectured me constantly on the signs and symptoms of a concussion but most importantly, she emphasized that if I ever got a concussion, that would not be the time to "suck it up and push through the pain." Once one receives a concussion, the headache is there to help that person realize there brain has physically been shaken up and it needs time to rest and heal. That means putting oneself back into play increases the risk for suffering permanent brain damage.

So as I laid on the sideline, I knew I would not be completing try-outs and instead, my mom picked me up and we drove to the ER. The entire ride to the hospital, I remember being very loopy and silly. My mother kept asking me different cognitive questions to see how my brain was doing and I stumbled to pass many of the questions. I couldn't even count back from 100 by 7's. It must have been hilarious to watch but at the time, it was terrifying for my mom. My brain was not working right.

As we pulled into the hospital, I began to feel very drowsy and it seemed like everything was in a hazz. I had to keep my head in my lap because the tv, sound and lights spiked my headache dramatically.

Finally, we were taken back to see the doctor where he continued to complete a neuro exam just as my mother had done. He had me do some nauseating but simple activities such as walking in a straight line, touching my finger to my nose and then his hand and answering questions such as when I was born. I was able to complete each of these task but for most of it, it was difficult. I moved slowly and had to concentrate extra hard on accomplishing the task in front of me.

I was sent home to rest and stay off all cognitive activities such as tv, texting, reading and computer. He diagnosed me with a mild concussion and that I should recover in a week or two at most. I expected that this would be my future and surely I would be back to my normal routine within days. But to this day, I have never returned to my previous life.


This is a picture of me playing soccer the summer leading up to getting my concussion. I am the one on the bottom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment